Old folk at lunch

Saturday, April 16, 2011

A mustard taste test



I have run wine tastings and whisky tastings in my time but a mustard taste test must be something of a departure.

I organized one last Thursday night with just Anne and myself as judges. The aim was to decide what mustard went best with Pastrami on rye. I got in some light rye bread and Crown lager to wash it down and made up four sandwiches. I cut the sandwiches in half so Anne and I would have the same.

Each of course had a different mustard on it and all had plenty of butter on them. There were: Dijon mustard, English mustard, wholegrain mustard and mustard pickles.

For me it was a tossup between wholegrain mustard and mustard pickles but Anne was firmly in favour of wholegrain mustard

I already use Pastrami in Reuben sandwiches. Maybe I should try Pastrami with Russian dressing next. I have never seen Russian dressing in the shops here but I have ketchup, mayonnaise and horseradish on hand so I should be able to make up my own. There are various recipes for Russian dressing on the net but I have found a simple one:

1 cup mayonnaise
¼ cup (4 Tbsp) chili sauce, cocktail sauce or ketchup
1 Tbsp drained horseradish
1 tsp minced onion

With a bit of coleslaw it could be good

1 comment:

  1. In the US I've compared every mustard I could find and actually the one most often served in budget restaurants here and also offered in packets is definitely my favorite. It is a semi-whole grain which is snappy but not as purely hyper hot as the smooth Grey Poupon brand that is marketed as being upscale nor as irritatingly crunchy as some full grain brands. It does need to be shaken in the bottle due to a watery layer separating out on top. Other cheap brands are not even pure mustard and are dyed an alien shade of bright yellow. The extra ingredient is turmeric and some unlisted "spices". -=NikFromNYC=-

    ReplyDelete