Old folk at lunch

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Bacon butties



I must be entering my second childhood, as Shakespeare would have it. For roughly the last 35 years I have been buying multigrain bread (invented long ago by the Germans as Vollkorn bread) with the view that it was an improvement over the white bread of my youth. But lately I have reverted to white bread.

To me white bread seems to go well in making up a bacon butty. I get a couple of slices of short-cut bacom, whizz them in the microwave for about 30 seconds and slap them between a couple of well-buttered slices of white bread. That has been my late supper for a little while now - "late" as in around midnight.

Although eminently satisfactory, that is of course a very simple repast so I call it a "butty", in honour of a famous food item well known North of Watford -- where chip butties seem to be a mainstay. I have never had a chip butty and they seem to be just about unknown in Australia but I think my repast has similar stark simplicity.

The "u" in butty is pronounced as in "bully" -- from "butter" as pronounced in both Northern England and Germany. Germans in fact would call the same thing a "Butterbrot", where "Brot" is bread.

4 comments:

  1. Greetings Sir. I can heartily recommend a "chip butty", nice thick white bread, loads of butter and a good number of fat hot potato chips with a juicy sprinkling of vinegar all over. Superb on a cold evening working in the garage.

    (for USA readers, in England, a Potato Chip is same as a French Fry) :)

    Best wishes, Dave from England.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A chip butty "Chip Sandwich" in our family.
    A rare but much loved extravagance savored behind closed doors and kept secret from all the tree hugging, matchstick figures that tell me I am going to die if I eat anything other than celery and bottled spring water.

    Pete in Tasmania

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simon's grandfather had a bacon butty every morning for breakfast and he lived to a ripe old age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks I was calling it a butty as in a butt of sherry or a kick in the butt as we say in Canada.
    We have a toasted BLT but I love the bacon in a bap.
    I discovered the butty oddly enough at LHR T5 in the BA business lounges and one had to keep ones radar attuned to the counter for their arrival from the kitchen or they would vanish. No wonder the T5 lounges are voted the best !
    He chip butty wasintroduced to me by a friend in Canada who worked in Yorkshire on a land drilling rig and pronounced it good after a long day of hard work in the chilly air. I like your column and Thanks !

    ReplyDelete