Wednesday, January 25, 2017

A birthday and a scan



It was Anne's birthday recently so I always let her say where we should dine that night.  This year she chose what I normally choose for my birthday and what we normally choose for any special occasion: Fried French (lamb) cutlets with a good salad and other accompaniments.  I supplied a total of 17 cutlets, of which only 3 were left over. We had it on my much-praised verandah, among the gentle breezes but with no sightings of possums this time.

We had one of my "Greek" (no lettuce) salads, including feta cheese, Manzanilla olives and avocado.  For starters Anne brought along Sydney rock oysters -- which are the tastiest oysters in my view. We had them natural.  It is in my view sacrilege to put sauces on Sydney rock oysters. And for dessert we had cheesecake.  To wash it all down we had a bottle of Henkel Trocken, a German "champagne".  I recommend it. I think it beats Moet and Veuve Cliquot.

It probably seems like a rather simple meal for a special day but we really like it.

And I have just got the results of my latest scan.  Being a cautious old guy, I get lots of scans for possible health problems, none of which, fortunately, have revealed anything much wrong so far.

My latest scan was motivated by the fact that Chris Brand, who is the same age as I am and who also likes his "wee dram", is at the moment hospitalized with cirrhosis of the liver.  I thought therefore that someone should have a good look at my liver in case I need to cut back my gin consumption.  And below is the result: ZERO cirrhosis.  I average 4 gins a night so I guess I am just lucky.  I am rather proud of my heroic liver, in fact. It's even got a "smooth hepatic contour"! Beat that!  Who else do you know who has got a good-looking liver?

No comments:

Post a Comment