Friday, August 23, 2024

Cancer treatment chronology


I have been battling cancer for about the last 5 years -- both metastasized SCCs (skin cancer) and prostate cancer. Each time it flared up, modern medicine has pulled me back from death and left me in no pain and in perfect comfort.

The latest flareup occurred when I noticed a pain in my chest a that would not go away. So I saw the excellent GP Dr Deep for advice. He ordered a couple of scans which revealed that I am full of cancer, with a tumour evident at the pain site in my chest. He recommended radiotherapy to fix it.

So I went to my oncologist to consult further about it. He compared the latest scans with a scan taken about a year ago. He advised that most of the cancers had been there under control for some time and that the latest localized flareup could be eliminated with radiotherapy. So I have now been set to begin 5 days of treatment starting from 26th.

Chronology:

Saw Dr Deep 6th August
Saw Oncologist 8th August
Saw Radiologist 12th
Setup process for radiotherapy 19th

There will be some time for me to get over the radiotherapy but I have gone under radiology twice before so I think I know what to expect. I expect to be well again around 6th September

I tried a number of pain medications while waiting for treatment, starting with Paracetamol. When that became ineffective, I moved on to the opiates, Targin, Tramadol, straight Oxycontin and Codeine. I paired them on all occasions with Ibuprofen as an anti-inflammatory. All were reasonably effective but the opiates all led to excesive sleep. Something -- probably the Ibprofen -- has however eased the pain to nuisance level only so I am not at the moment taking any pain-killers. So I am back pretty close to normal



No comments:

Post a Comment