Old folk at lunch

Friday, February 1, 2013

Friday update

Despite the lights coming back on on Tuesday evening, only one of the three power circuits available to me came back on -- which was rather odd.  So I got out a great string of extension leads to feed power to my computer from the one circuit that was working.

On Wednesday I decided to get to the bottom of the problem power circuits and by a bit of trial and error discovered that one of two paired circuits was the problem.  It was wet somewhere from all the rain and therefore flipping the circuit breaker governing the two circuits.  So by isolating that circuit I got a second circuit going, which was the one running my computer, fridge and freezer -- so I was happy about that.

But then my internet cable went off the air.  Telstra were apparently repairing some storm damage in my area so I had power  but still no internet.

Anyway it didn't matter a heap as I had a lunch at Anne's place to go to and afternoon tea with Paul and Susan after that.  I would not have been on the internet anyway.

The lunch was put on by Anne for the birthday of her sister Merle.  It was another "three sisters" lunch with partners invited too and I always enjoy such occasions.  Anne made a big lot of her champion ham and salad sandwiches for the occasion and there was  lots of other foods too.

Paul came over with Susan and Matthew about 3pm to finish putting all the old family videos on my computer.  We also had some chats about family relationships which seemed to be helpful to  Paul.  I heard later that he even took some advice that I gave him!  As advice is the world's most spurned commodity, I was impressed!

Anyway, the internet was still off when Paul left so I went over to Jenny's for about an hour to catch up with a few things.

On Thursday morning  my net access was still out and so was the light circuit downstairs. So I got into my car and visited various electrical wholesalers in a quest to buy a few more plug-in circuit-breakers, in case the light problem was at the board.  I visited 5 wholesalers but only three had what I wanted.  I ended up getting one breaker from each of three wholesalers  -- taking the last of their stock in each case.  Very strange.

Anyway my net access came back Thursday afternoon and has been OK since then.  So to celebrate the end of a chaotic week I took Anne to a good Chinese restaurant on Friday evening and ordered Peking duck.  It lived up to all expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment