Thursday, December 5, 2019

My Vinnie forays


Where I go to get my weekly skin cancer treatments happens to be close to an outlet of the Society of St. Vincent DePaul.  The saint is a purveyor of interesting second-hand items. So I usually look in on my way past.

I have refreshed my furniture by tossing out a lot of ElCheapo items and replacing then with classic pieces supplied by Vinnie. Lately, I have also started buying more portable items.  Below is my latest. It is a 16" silver salver by Hecworth, a firm of Australian silver platers. The salver is in Sheffield plate, which means EPNS silver on a copper substrate.  The substrate for EPNS is most usually brass.  It is a remarkably heavy item.

Silverplate from Hecworth was advertised in the 1930s. “Hecworth” was a brand name sold through a shopfront in Collins Street Melbourne.  Hecworth plate was made by Platers Pty Ltd in the Melbourne suburb of St Kilda at 39 Greeves street. The “Hecworth” brand was taken over by Rodd Pty Ltd in 1940.



There is a LOT of Hecworth plate on eBay and such places so is not generally dear. I paid $30 which is only a touch below the norm.

No comments:

Post a Comment