Wednesday, March 29, 2017

An eventful weekend



The excision on my ankle was always a bit sore but when I finished my course of antibiotics in the middle of last week it got worse.  On Friday morning I was woken up by the pain of it. I tried to ring the surgeon to get a new supply of antibiotics but he was not working that day.  So I visited a nearby medical centre to get my prescriptions (Clindamycin and Dicloxacillin) from a GP there.

The GP was quite good but thought I should get an xray of my foot and ankle.  So I did that same day. But the antibiotics I was using seemed to have lost any influence so the wound just got worse.

On Saturday morning about 9am I encountered Joe and Kate headed for the beach at Surfer's Paradise.  With Kate's alabaster white skin and Joe being nearly as fair they looked a most un-beachy couple.  But they had big hats and sunblock so they were to a degree prepared.  Young Brisbane people are always going "down the coast" so I guess Joe felt it was about time they joined in.  They didn't stay long though.  Got home around 2pm.  Good that they did because Joe did get some sunburn.

That night Joe, his good friend Eugene and I went to Sunnybank for Mosburgers, Japanese hamburgers.  I think they are the best in Brisbane.  Very yummy.  I liked the peach tea too.

On Sunday, Anne came over, the first time since Tuesday. She came over about midday and at 3pm we went to a local party, held in the newly created "Community Garden" at the top of Fleurs st.  The people behind the garden have done a great job of converting a bit of "waste" ground into a flourishing garden.  They are Greenies so it is good to see them putting their efforts where their mouth is.

A curious thing is that some Real Estate mob have donated a small pizza oven to them.  And on Sunday afternoon there were a couple of experienced Italian pizza makers there to make it hum.  They poured out  huge amounts of pizza that all went down well.  People kept turning up as the afternoon went on so there was quite a crowd in the end, with many being young families.

The pizza was cooked Italian style -- with thin base and thin topping.  Anne particularly liked that.  See below:


Then that evening we went along to Evensong at The Metropolitical Cathedral of St. John.  It is a magnificent venue for anything musical.  The PA system was pretty bad, however, so neither Anne nor I understood a word of the spoken part of the service.  We got some good Anglican chant, however, which I like.

Then by Monday morning the wound on my foot had deteriorated so much that it was quite smelly.  I did have to go in to the local GP practice to get my X-ray results so I asked the doctor there to clean up and re-dress the wound.  He did that personally.

Then on Tuesday, I went to see the surgeon.  He was shocked by the state of the wound so took a swab for the pathologists to tell us what bacteria we were up against.  I also persuaded him to give me some Bactrim to supplement my other antibiotics.

And that seems to have been a breakthrough.  I felt some benefit from the Bactrim after just the first tablet and improvement has continued since then. So there is a light at the end of a very dire tunnel.  An expanding wound that is proof against a lot of powerful antibiotics is bad news.


No comments:

Post a Comment