Thursday, May 24, 2018

Watching watches



I heve blogged previously about why people wear wrist-watches these days.  The time is right there on your cellphone so why do you need anything more?

I discovered that for some people the watch you wear is somehow related to your prestige.  Unless you have a watch that costs at least $1,000 you are a nobody.  An expensive watch marks you out as a man who is good with money.  I would have thought the opposite:  A man who spends his money on expensive trinkets is NOT good with money.

Anyway, I thought it might be a good idea for me to buy a nice-looking watch. Perhaps there is some advantage at having the time on your wrist as well as in your pocket. So I bought one.

And I have just discovered that my watch is a champion among watches. I inadvertently left it in my washing.  So it went through both a washing machine sequence AND a tumble-dryer sequence.  So it was ratshit after that, right?

Far from it, it was not only still going but it even still kept perfect time.  So what exactly was this paragon of watches:

Place of purchase:  Target
Place of manufacture:  China
Cost to me: $15.

Makes you think, doesn't it?

There is no brand on the watch.  It simply says "Quartz".  Watches as a commodity!

I have blogged briefly on my watch previously



No comments:

Post a Comment