Sunday, September 2, 2018

A weekend of dinners


On Friday night Anne and I had our usual Friday night dinner at my place with some good Wagyu sausages on the menu.  I made the salad and Anne did the cooking. Wine tends to give Anne a bit of congestion so I made her a Martini -- which she particularly likes -- while I had a can of Fourex Gold.  I hear that I make a good Martini but I don't drink them myself. Adding a wormwood liquor to good Gin seems sacrilege to me.

Then on Saturday  night it was the 13th anniversary of Anne and myself being together.  So we had what we usually have for special occasions:  Fried French (lamb) cutlets.  I got some really nice ones --  big, lean and juicy -- from Woolworths for a largish sum and Anne brought over some Sydney rock oysters.  We had the dinner at my place and I made up a big salad to go with it.  I put a few pickled onions in the salad.  Anne likes them but is a bit allergic to them.  She ate them anyway.  We had a bottle of a German "champagne" -- Henkel Trocken -- to wash it all down.  It is Anne's favourite champagne and I like it too.

After the main meal we had some small Belgian chocolate desserts.  And after that we listened to a CD of music from Vienna.  It had some good arias from operetta in it so we both enjoyed it.  It was a CD from a concert Anne went to in Vienna -- on one of her many trips to Europe

And on Sunday Joe gave me a Father's day dinner.  He got some excellent Barramundi from a very good fish shop we have near us so I had a very enjoyable dinner of fish 'n chips,  We talked about politics and Mr Trump as we usually do. I drank a can of Fourex Gold and Joe had whisky and Coke.

It was actually the second dinner we had had together that day as we also did our usual Sunday visit to the pie shop for a bacon & egg breakfast that morning. 

I suspect that I see my son more often than most fathers do.  He is sitting only a few yards from me as I write this in fact -- with both of us on our respective computers.  The fact that we both have similar musical tastes and similar political opinions does help.  On politics we are both deep into detail.  We mentioned the Holodomor tonight for instance -- not something on everybody's horizon.  Mostly, however we talk about American politics -- as that has most impact on the world.

I was pleased that Von sent me a Father's Day greeting.  She and I have always got on especially well.  When she was a little girl, I explained to everybody that she was a lady and had to be treated that way.  Everybody more or less went along with that but Paul thought it was a bit of a racket.

No comments:

Post a Comment