Saturday, October 27, 2018

Molechex


Molechex is one of many independent skin cancer clinics in Brisbane.  If you knew the incidence of skin cancer in Queensland you would understand why.  A lot of Queenslanders have Irish and Scottish ancestors and the effect of tropical and subtropical sun beaming down on fair Celtic skin is not a happy one.

One of Queensland's more eminent doctors -- also known as "Dr. Jazz" -- has opened two such clinics under the Molechex brand. One of them is a few minutes walk from where I normally do my shopping.  So given my frequent skin cancer problems it was inevitable that I would walk in to that clinic one day.

I first walked in when I had an extremely aggressive cancer pop up on my forehead.  It was rather painful and growing rapidly. In the circumstances I wanted it removed pronto.  But both of the surgeons I would normally go to had significant waiting lists so it looked like I would have a 2 week wait.  So I looked online at the appointments available at Molechex.  The SCC (for such it was) was still quite small so I thought I might be able to get rid of it without full-scale surgery.

And I got an appointment there next day.  And Dr Sandra there was a good communicator so got me to try a shave biopsy -- where she basically just scraped the cancer off my forehead, with cautery (diathermy) following. 

Sandra Steele

It worked.  The cancer vanished and I healed rapidly.  The pathology report showed that the cancer was not fully excised -- which I expected in the circumstances -- but what the biopsy didn't kill the cautery probably did.  So I was completely cured of that one.

And, like most such clinics, it is a bulk-biller, which means that the Federal government pays for everything.  I didn't have to put my hand in my pocket at all.  And I didn't even have to pay car-parking fees -- as the supermarket carpark next door is free.  I have paid vast sums over the years in getting my cancers removed so that was a refreshing change.

And the financial benefits were not the only ones.  Dr. Sandra has a vibrating device that she placed on my forehead that completely cancelled out the pain of getting a local anaesthetic injected. So my procedure was quick, successful, convenient, free and painless!  Beat that!

Since then I have been back three more times to get little pimply things removed and, wonder of wonders, the pathology report came back in all cases as SCCs "completely excised".  For such a simple and convenient procedure to attain complete excision is something of a wonder -- but the tumors concerned were very small so that would have been a factor.

No comments:

Post a Comment