Monday, August 21, 2023

Revealing breakfasts


My mother was a rather strange woman unhappy in her marriage. I probably get some strangeness from her. The wonderful woman in my longest-lasting marriage often called me "Mr Difficult".

I would have said that my mother was autistic except that she was a chatterbox, two things that are normally opposite

But I have always said that she gave ne a very permissive and indulgent childhood, which I of course greatly liked. And something comes to mind that shows how indulgent to me she was. Whatever faults she had, I certainly had a loving mother

So what has inspired this reflection? WeetBix. Yes. Weetbix. WeetBix are a very common breakfast cereal in Australia but they are very dry out of the packet. You normally eat them with milk. I still like and eat them on occasions.



But their dryness means that you have to let them stand in the milk for a minute or two before you can eat them. You have to sit in front of your bowl for a minute or two waiting for the milk to soak in. It's only a very small call on your patience.

But my mother spared me even that call on my patience. As soon as she put the bix down in front of me, she would pour hot water on them to soften them immediately so I could eat them immediately. No patience required. As kid, I thought that was normal. But as an adult, I manage to wait a minute or two and just have them with milk, no hot water. She also used always to spinkle sugar on them for me, but these days I just enjoy the taste of the bik by itself.

So I see all that as a vivid sign of how much I was loved. I am very lucky to have had such a start in life. Not all do. And with only a few breaks, my life since has been a cruise. Though my health does sometimes get to me now that I am 80.



3 comments:

  1. Yes I remember much the same thing. I can also remember preparing breakfast for one of my first girlfriends and doing just that , pouring hot water on the weetbix , she looked at me strangely and said she preferred them crunchy !

    ReplyDelete
  2. And your right we were a bit spoilt , largely let to run wild but greatly loved. There were well understood boundaries however , one had to be home for "Tea" at 5o'clock sharp. Might have been you who told me Mum followed the teaching of Dr. Spock !?

    ReplyDelete
  3. She certainly knew about Dr Spock

    ReplyDelete