Saturday, December 5, 2020

Surviving well


My vigour and fitness took a nosedive this week.  I no longer have any energy for almost anything.  What I mostly want to do is lie down.  

I do however have some shreds of energy left and that sufficed for a dinner I had arranged a few weeks ago.  Before the dinner, Anne and I had a bit of time together in which I informed her of my sudden health decline.  She was very sympathetic and affectionate about it, which helped me a lot

I usually do a few Christmas-time catchups to see friends I have not seen much of during the year.  This year I arranged with Jill and Lewis for us to get together over a midday lunch on Friday Dec. 4th.  I hosted the occasion at my usual restaurant haunt in Buranda where the menu is excellent and the service friendly

Fortunately, Anne drove us from my place and dropped me at the restaurant door so the call on my energy was minimal.

Jill and Lewis were a rather colourful couple arriving.  Jill was beautifully dressed as one expects and Lewis was wearing a bright Hawaiian stye shirt so was clearly in an upbeat mood  Considering that both are in their '80s they made a very fine and cheerful couple

I used to have a couple of Hawaiian shirts but when I grew out of them I gave them to a half-Maori bloke I knew.  He loved them and immediately started wearing them.  Hawaiians and Maori are both Polynesians so it fits.

Anne and Jill get on particularly well so the chat flowed freely.  A lot of the chat was about old times as I first met Jill in the '90s and Anne has been meeting Jill with me for over a decade.

I had a rather unusual dish, scrambled eggs with roast pumpkin and feta cheese in it! It worked surprisingly well, as did the lunch as a whole

After the lunch I went home and had a big sleep.  I fed myself a frozen dinner of Satay chicken that night which went down quite well

Then this morning (Sat. 5th) it was time for Anne and me to have our weekly breakfast.  Saturday breakfast is our only fixed arrangement these days but we have occsasional meals at other times on special occasions, as we did on Friday.

We once again went to my usual haunt.  This time I drove us, as I was confident that I could handle the short walk from car to restaurant. We talked mainly about people we know and I once again had my strange eggs, which, sadly, I could not finish.  My appetite is shot these days.

Then after breakfast we drove around the block to Vinnies.  And as is often the case I found some things to buy for Anne -- a small flour dredger in new condition and a magnifying glass on a rather elaborate pendant.  Anne was very pleased with both.  She had a good use for both.  

Then we went home and watched the first half of an operetta -- The Dollar Princess by Leo Fall, which is all about romantic relationships and would nauseate feminists.  Details here.

So it was a very low-key morning for us but one that meant a lot to both of us.  Anne and I always have a lot of laughs together and so it was again despite my dubious health.  She left around noon.

Around 7pm that night Jenny brought me over some dinner, an excellent Nasi Goreng of her own devising.  We stayed talking for quite a while and she did the massage on my sore neck.  I was soon asleep after she left at about 8:30.


No comments:

Post a Comment