Monday, August 23, 2021

On being offended


It is a reasonable diagnosis to say that I am a high-functioning autistic.  I have discussed the evidence for that previously.  Just admitting to being autistic  is itself autistic, I think

And there is something about me which I have long been aware of but which I now realize is profoundly autistic:  I never get offended by anything.  In all my life I can recall no occasion when I was offended by anything or anyone.  I have sometimes acted offended when I thought it was expected of me but there has been no feeling behind the act.

So when people criticize me I simply see it as information. It tells me something about the critic and may tell me something about myself.  I perceive only the informational component of a criticism, nothing more .  I just don't understand why or how people get offended by things.  It is basically a mystery and a surprise to me

That does let me down at times. I rather often do or say things that offend people without my meaning to.  The thing would not offend me so I don't expect anyone else to be offended by it.

My deficit in that regard is however also a blessing.  Being offended seems to be a rather unpleasant feeling so I am glad to be free of it.  I sail through life with a great calmness and serenity of mind

2 comments:

  1. I suspect the woke crowd would be tempted, at least for a second, after reading your post, to foam at the mouth while calling you out for having autistic privilege. But then again - that crowd would likely be too infatuated with their reactions to envy your wonderful ability - calmness and serenity of mind paves the way for clear thinking. Good for you.

    I occasionally become offended, so it is still a work in progress. Being offended is the act of temporarily drowning in self-concern. It is a silly impulse, often paired with a desire to shut down the free speech of others. The offended is likely to demand that others take responsibility for what they are saying/writing, but first of all, what what the offended should do is take responsibility for their reactions and emotions. That is a good start for things to proceed in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many years ago during my personal development stage I read that it was impossible to give offence. It can only be taken. It made great sense to me and I have always lived by that maxim . It is of great help in this age of constant offence taking. So I too like my brother am never offended by anything and consider it a useless emotion.

    ReplyDelete