Sunday, November 7, 2021

Some pesky surgery


I undergo a lot of surgery for my skin cancers but I rarely make mention of it here.  The surgery I had on Friday morning was particularly notable.  I had a BCC just under my left eye right beside my nose that was going to be difficult.  Excising the BCC was not the problem.  Getting the skin back together in that area was the challenge.  So I went to a very experienced plastic surgeon for the job.

He took quite a while to get the job done but he got a result. He uses diathermy reluctantly as it impedes healing.  The risk of that is post-surgical bleeding.  And I have had that a couple of times in the past.  So I was apprehesive of waking up that night with blood on my pillow and blood streaming down my face.  Unpleasant!

It didn't happen that night but it did the next night.  The bleed was very small, however so just changing the dressing fixed it.  Jenny helped do the new dressing. It was upsetting while it lasted though.

Another complication was that the wound got infected, presumably with staphylococcus aureus.  And that shows by edematous swelling around the infected site.  So as soon as I saw swelling I got some erythromycin into me which fixed the problem.

So on Sunday evening as I write this I have had no bleeding and no swelling all day. Much relief. Healing is well underway.

No comments:

Post a Comment