Thursday, December 7, 2023

The modern marvels of food delivery


Uber Eats began food delivery in August 2014 with the launch of the UberFRESH service in Santa Monica, California. It set off a revolution. There are now food delivery services worldwide with a number of organizations offering similar services. The one I use is DoorDash, also of American origin but now well entrenched in Australia.

Now that I no longer drive I have become a regular user of their services and greatly appreciate them. For $20 I can have a freshly cooked meal delivered to my door as soon as half an hour after ordering it. And the charge for delivery included in that $20 is only about $3, which I regard as a bargain. Compared to getting in my car and driving to the source restaurant it saves me a lot of time and probably money. And I get a very wide choice of restaurants, ones I mostly was previously unaware of. I even use them to give me cooked breakfasts on occasions

So it is not as big a deal as the invention of the steam engine but it is a modern marvel nonetheless. And it is all the work of profit-seeking companies with no government involvement: Capitalism at its best. I shudder to think what a government-provided service would cost.



No comments:

Post a Comment