Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Printer woes


My old printer died so I had to get a new one.  The one I chose -- a HP Deskjet 2700e -- was not expensive -- $55 -- as I don't need anything fancy.  

The setting up of a new printer has become a bigger and bigger challenge as the years have gone by so I was rather cheered by the motto on the box, which said: "Keep it simple".  I wish they had. The setup was incredibly long and difficult.  I worked at it for about 20 minutes and got so far and then Joe took over.  Joe is a computer maven.  He solves incredibly difficult computer problems for his work.

But it took another half hour of solid trying  before Joe got the thing to work.  How the ordinary citizen is supposed to make it work it I do not know,  I suspect that setting up printers will become a new trade.  You don't even try to do it yourself.  You call a printer guy

I do however have a handy hint for future printer installers:  Reboot your computer before you start.  It is only after Joe did that that things began to happen with my printer.

I guess a bonus is that printers don't get stolen these days.  My printer is specifically set up for my computer.  So it would not work on any other computer unless the thief was a setup genius.  Lesson:  Don't buy a secondhand printer


2 comments:

  1. Printers are finicky things, that is the short of it.

    The Epson EcoTank models have high page yields, which is good considering the cost of ink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be pleased when this computer craze is over. When I say that, others often laugh and say it will never be over. But all technologies eventually get superseded. Something will come that will be beyond computers as we know them today. And when it does, I expect we will look back and see how primitive these computers were.

    ReplyDelete