Monday, January 25, 2021

A perceptive comment


Since the death of Chris Brand, my mental "other half", I have had occasional contact with Dr. Natalia Brand, Chris' widow.  She is a highly qualified Taiwanese art historian and gets a huge amount out of art.  A painting that I would not look at twice she gets lots out of. 

She has made Chris's old apartment into an art gallery and has a male artist friend who helps her with that. I am delighted that she has good company now.  I had not realized that Chris was something of an art collector.  That would have drawn Chris and Natalia together. Though they were pretty good partners generally.

In a recent email from her she commented on this blog and its heading. She wrote:

"I have read your notes from a 'quiet' life. Instead, you have had a turbulent and emotional life. But, I am glad you enjoy your food and drinks"

She is right. The fact is that the recent revolution in my 15 year relationship with Anne has overturned my quiet life. But it shows that what exists between us is actually a great romance, improbable as that may seem. That Anne still wants to see me regularly despite now being shacked up with someone else is surprising enough but equally surprising is that I now see Jenny six nights a week but still want to see Anne. Is that not a great romance?

A very affectionate relationship that survives our circumstances is surely an exceptional one at least.  It may even be more exceptional than the arrangements of Antonia Staats

So my weekly meetings with Anne do make me very happy but I would much like to see her more often.  That may happen



No comments:

Post a Comment