Friday, January 22, 2021

A special dinner with Anne


Anne has a b*rthday soon so we organized a special Friday night dinner to mark the occasion. I gave Anne a pretty blue and silver bracelet as a present and also got in for the dinner a bottle of 2017 St. Henri Shiraz, a premium Penfolds product.  I noticed that a wine guru said it goes well with lamb. So I was amused that that was the main course I bought it for.

Below is the bracelet against the background of a dress that Anne thinks it goes with. She definitely likes it





Anne brought with her some very tasty Tasmanian oysters for the entree and I provided some duck pate.  We had a French stick for the bread.  


We had very leisurely entrees sitting on my verandah, which is always a very pleasant location.  We sat there through twilight.  I opened the St. Henri as soon as we sat down.

Then for the main course we moved indoors to my dining table.  It was a candle-lit dinner from that point on.  I normally just have a set of three candle holders for that purpose but on this occasion we supplemented them with the fancy kerosene lamp that Anne had given me for Christmas.  So we had plenty of light. I turned off all the electric lights as soon as we sat down.


I also got out my best dishes and my best goblets


For the main course I got in some French cutlets, as I usually do for special dinners with Anne.  They are our favourite dinner.  


They were large and juicy and Anne cooked them to perfection.  I provided a good salad including avocado, Feta cheese, asparagus etc.  So we ate well.

After dinner we adjourned to my room to lie down and listen to music, mostly Mozart.  It made a very relaxed finale to the night.  And we did have some good birthday kisses.

I was a bit down in the dumps when Anne came over at about 5:30pm but I was in good cheer by the time she left -- at about 9pm.  I had hoped she would stay the night but she had family matters to attend to on Saturday morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment