Thursday, January 28, 2021

A blackout!


I woke up at about 2am this morning to find no lights on in my room. I wondered for a few minutes how come I had left no lights on. I always leave something on.  Then I realized that the power was out. I was surprised however that I could still see a fair bit of my room about me.  Light was coming through my curtains

I surmised that the street lights must be going so went to my front door to check.  They were out too.  But there was a great bright searchlight right above me in the sky that enabled me to see the street and what was in it fairly clearly.  It was the moon on a cloudless night.  As a creature of civilization I was amazed at how bright it was.

The ambient temperature on my old fashioned glass thermometer was 27 degrees Celsius so neither heating nor cooling was needed

But since I was awake I wanted to do a few things, electricity or not.  So I lit up my two kerosene lamps and my three candles. 



That gave me enough light to cut out a few things from a newspaper that I had been meaning to cut out.

That was the limit of what I could do however so I went back to bed and dozed off into a light sleep.  But at 3:40am the electric lights came back on.  So I got up and blew out my candles and lamps

Ever since childhood I have always had a low-level light source in my room at night. It started out with a small kerosene lamp beside my bed from when I was about 6.  It saves me tripping over things if I get up.  So I was pleased that I could continue that during a blackout.



My bedside light above

No comments:

Post a Comment