Thursday, February 11, 2021

An eventful week

I have had a rather good week. 

On Monday, Jenny and I spent half the morning looking through the African shops at Moorooka.  There are a range of them with a large variety of homewares on offer.  The offerings are all very colourful, with much use of gilt, and Jenny and I thought that we might be tempted to buy something.  But it was all too much for us.  The difference between African tastes and Nordic tastes was very evident. Things that to Africans seem attractive were to us way too garish.  But de gustibus non disputandum est, as the Romans used to say

Then on Tuesday I saw Anne for dinner.  I would normally have seen Jenny on a Tuesday but she had a ladies' meeting she wanted too go to then.  So Anne kindly agreed to keep me company between 5pm and 8pm, which was ample time for a dinner.  We had an entree of duck pate on my verandah initially, followed by a trip to the Greeks at Stones corner -- who served us a very large platter of Greek specialties.  My appetite was very poor, as it often is these days, so the burden of polishing off the delicacies fell mostly on Anne -- which she did good work of.

On Wednesday Jenny joined me for breakfast at my usual haunt and that evening Joe and I had our usual Japanese curry at the Sunny Doll.  Joe is on holiday so he was more relaxed than he usually is

Then on Thursday I had breakfast at Buranda with Jenny, followed by a funeral! The funeral was for Ralph, Anne's late brother in law.  As I had always got on well with Ralph, I thought it appropriate for me to attend -- even though I don't cope well with funerals and avoid them when I can.  I thought that Anne might need me for a partner on the occasion as George, Anne's new partner, had not known Ralph and knew very few people at the funeral.  George however stepped  up to the occasion and accompanied Anne to the event.  I went with Jenny, who also knew almost nobody there. Now we know of George's willingness, that should let me off the hook for future funerals.  But maybe not.

Anne had a lot of family present but did not sit with any of them during the service. She sat with me on one side and George on the other.  Some of her family must have thought that Anne was quite a gal to have her two blokes sitting on either side of her. But she is definitely a man's woman, like her mother before ther.

Anne spent a lot of time talking to people she knew after the service so George got a bit neglected.  Seeing that, I spent a bit of time talking to him and vaguely looking after him.  Jenny stayed with me throughout.

Today was my second day off the grog, something I hope to make permanent.  I drink very little these days so thought I might as well go the whole hog.  As I also eat less these days I think I might even end up healthy!  I am not ruling out a glass of champagne on special occasions, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment