Thursday, July 15, 2021

A birthday celebration


My birthday dinner went well.  Present were:

* Jenny, ex-wife, carer and hostess with the mostest.  She fed us a mild Keema (curry) that I particularly like and which seemed to go down well generally.  And later she presented us with a large Pavlova for pudding.  Pavlova is a favourite of mine too

* Joe, son, who lit all my oil lamps for me

* Brother Christopher, who helped with the music in various ways

* Old friend from the 70s John Henningham, who was his usual jocular self and helped liven us all up

* Jill, an ex-girlfriend  who never went away.  We split up when I was around 60 but continued a close friendship.  We are both high culture people and the affinities between us were too strong to be forgotten.  We normally still see one-another for birthdays.  It's typical of what is between us that her birthday card to me centred around a quotation from Shakespeare

Graham was trapped in Victoria by the lockdowns and Anne was too ill to attend.  Anne did however manage to come over that afternoon for an hour or so  -- which was greatly appreciated.

I had an apology from my sister Roxanne.  She was going to drive down from Rockhamption but the virus restrictions freaked her.

We listened to a lot of music, mostly the more accessible end of the classical repertoire.  No booze.  As she usually is, Amira Willighagen was a great hit singing Puccini's "O babbino caro"



I also had a very loving email from Paris, France, which was the highlight of my day -- as that was from a lady I haven't seen for 55 years.  Feelings can be very enduring and overcome many obstacles


No comments:

Post a Comment